[AccessD] Disconnected MS Access cient applications..

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Wed Aug 17 19:42:56 CDT 2005

Shamil,

It looks to me like that is where MS is going with .Net, so it would be
logical to take Access in that direction as well ... If they would only
consider it a development tool instead of a power user toy.  I've
certainly built applications in the past using that concept with ADO and
unbound forms. (Hush, John, I don't want to hear about it!<g>)  I think
we often fall back to the built in stuff because it is quick and easy,
even though it is not necessarily efficient.  MS is moving toward XML as
their datastore of choice for this kind of caching, and it certainly
works and has been fairly easy to implement since at least Access 2000.
I would expect the capability to be expanded in the next version of
Access when it starts to catch up with Word and Excel, but that's just a
SWAG based on working extensively with VB.Net and speculating.  Given
that the next version of Access may not be available for a year or so
and is bound to have problems at first, I think something that could be
used now and with versions earlier than 2003 (which has its own
problems!) is entirely sensible.

Charlotte Foust