[AccessD] One-click upsizing and downsizing of Access to SQL Server and back?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 11:20:51 CST 2005

if the data is valuable, then redundancy is key for your sql server,
at the very least the data should reside on a Raid Mirror, generally
Raid 10 is best for the Transaction logs and Raid 5 is generally
acceptable for the data files... So Create backups of your Sql Server
db files on a regular baisis, and reguluar backups of the transaction
log based on how valuable the data is... these files ought to then be
copied over to another server / pc for safer storage and moved to DVD
/ Tape.

When a Sql Server goes down and the db is inaccessable, you'll need to
restore these backup files to a backup sql server (sql server
developer (2000) is currently $50 bucks) at which point you'll be able
to extract the data (downsize) to an Access Database.  Imho I think
since you'll need to go through the trouble of getting a 2nd server up
and running just to get at the files, it is probably most effecient to
set up a fail over server... I'd check w/ MS but I think for failover
servers, the cost is very low.. you only pay on the licensing on the
primary server (however again you'd need to check w/ MS and their reps
for accurate info).

-Francisco
http://pcthis.blogspot.com | PC news with out the jargon!