[AccessD] Check if array is initialized

Sad Der accessd666 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 06:13:55 CDT 2005

Hi group,

one of our programmers came to me with a question
regarding an error when the UBOUND() of an array was
retrieved. The error occures when an array has been
DIMmed, without specifing the size, but not REDIMmed.

In the sample below I've created a simple example.
When the function is called a byref array is to be
filled with values. However the line:
  for lngCntr = 0 to UBOUND(r_alngMyArray)
Will always fill since it hasn't been ReDimmed.

I suggested a workaround:
1 - use the function IsInitialized() and check if the
function returns -1. If so the array isnt't
intitialized.

However, is there an official way of handling this
error/problem/occurence?

Thnx

Regards,

SD
--------------------
EXAMPLE
--------------------

Main
  Dim alngValues() as long
  Call RetrieveSomething(alngValues())
End Main

Public Function RetrieveSomething(byref
r_alngMyArray() as Long)
dim lngCntr as long

for lngCntr = 0 to UBOUND(r_alngMyArray)
  Redim PRESERVE r_alngMyArray(lngCntr)
  r_alngMyArray(lngCntr) = "THIS DOES NOT WORK!"
next lngCntr

End Function

------------------
WORKAROUND
Function IsInitialized(byref r_alngInitialized) as
Long
 On Error Goto error_not_initialized

  IsInitialized = UBOUND(r_alngInitialized)

Exit Function
Goto error_not_initialized
  IsInitialized = -1
End Function