[AccessD] Urgent helpneededwithIISserver SOLVED

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Sat Jun 18 04:17:27 CDT 2005

I Was able to locate and solve the problem with aid of the MDAC
component checker.

I noticed that some ADO files where located at "Z:\program Files\Common
Files\system" instead of the normal C: drive.

The NTFS file security for this system folder where not correctly set as
specified in the MS articles.
I always checked the C drive folder!!!

That leaves me with the question why these MDAC are installed in the Z
drive.
My account data specifies drive Z: for the home directory, but again I
don't see the point why my common files are set to the Z drive. I
changed the registry entries from all Z: to C: and noticed the a
registry key commonfilesfolder (or something) was set to the z drive. I
changed that to to C:

To conclude this problem I blmieve what happened is this.
1) I analised my server with MSBA that resulted in a MDAC that needed
updating.
2) I updated the MDAC but also windows updates an SQL SP4 to save time.
3) For some resaon MDAC update installed onto the Z drive instead of the
4) The Z: drive is a user folder where only administrators (group) and
the user (in this case the administrator (user) has access to. Due to
NTFS security limitations on the Z drive the IIS could not load MDAC
components using thr IUSR failing all data access from my website.

Probably lost 12 working hours and 3 days of website problems.

Thank you whomever to thank (maybe myself with that home folder thing,
but this has worked for 2 years)

Erwin