[AccessD] Detecting Database Connection Type?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 14 14:54:58 CDT 2005

You can try Win32_NetworkAdapter and Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration to
get information about the network adapter. Also, you can obtain the
information about what kind of connection (such as VPN, PPPoE..etc) is
using
in the remote PC from these two classes.
You can have both wireless and lan connection made at same time.
but you can set opening precedence from Network Control Panel advanced
options.
This code might tell you if wireless or Lan connection, haven't got
wireless one to test.
You can code to disable one of the Nics via Shell namespace.

also this DOS command might tell you something
netsh interface show interface > c:\temp\netsh.txt

Sub testnics()
'this code takes several seconds to run initially
Dim NICA As Object
Dim Nic As Variant
Dim lngCount As Long
Dim StrNic As String
Dim StrIP As String
Dim i As Long
Set NICA =
GetObject("winmgmts:").InstancesOf("Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration")

For Each Nic In NICA
    Debug.Print "============================"
     StrNic = Nic.Description 'type of NIC
      Debug.Print StrNic
     If Nic.IPEnabled Then
        lngCount = UBound(Nic.IPAddress)
        'For i = 0 To lngCount
                StrIP = vbTab & Nic.IPAddress(0)  'array
                If StrIP <> "" Then
                        Debug.Print "IP " & StrIP & " MAC address " &
Nic.MACAddress
                        Debug.Print "DNS Name " & Nic.DNSHostName

                End If
       ' Next
     End If
     Debug.Print vbNewLine