[AccessD] planning

Darsant Silverstring darsant at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:17:10 CDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Johncliviger at aol.com <Johncliviger at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi all
> I've been asked to investigate whether Access or Excel is a  suitable tool to
> develop a production capacity calculator.  As I know sweet  nothing about
> production capacity calculations I wondered whether anyone on  this list has
> experience in using Access for production capacity  calculations.
>
> What I mean about  production capacity calculations is: You have so  many
> machines with so many people and so much time and material, how many units  of
> production can I make.
>
> TIA
>
> john c

I've never done production calculations myself, but as far as
capabilities for calculations, Access and Excel will be practically
the same for all intents and purposes.

What you'll have to see if whether or not the production capacity
calculations require more than simple data. If all they want is to be
able to say I've got this many people, time, and material, plug it
into this complicated forumula (full of constants) to spit out the
data, then I'd just hardcode it into excel.

If they want to use past production data to try to analyze and make a
prediction for a future amount, this you'd probably want to handle
with access.

Both can be suitable tools, it really all just comes down to what
scale they want to use it at.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein