[AccessD] CDOSYS

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 18 15:30:39 CDT 2006

It really does happen with one of the bigger ISP's in Canada, with Shaw
Cable,
at least for Residential accounts. Haven't checked if Business accounts
get access to a special server to get around this..

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/ServiceDetails.htm

half way down.
"Note: For security reasons, POP3 and SMTP services cannot be accessed
from non-Shaw Internet connections.
However, Shaw email services can be accessed from any Internet
connection using webmail.shaw.ca."

In other words if you have a PDA or laptop with wireless internet access,
you have to use a WebMail site to get and send email, no SMTP or POP3.
You have to be behind a cable modem inside Shaw's domain to use SMTP or
Pop3.

Shaw is primarily a cable TV company, so they are not keen on phone access.
They do have it available though.

If you are wondering if your ISP does something like this, look through
the forums
at http://www.dslreports.com

--
Marty Connelly