[AccessD] Filtering help needed, please

ewaldt at gdls.com ewaldt at gdls.com
Tue Jun 27 06:15:50 CDT 2006

I have 3 related categories, Installations, Subsytems, and IPT. If I know
Installation, I also know Subsytem and IPT. Knowing Subsystem or IPT does
not definitively give me anything else; it does, however, limit the
possibilities for Installations.

I have lookup tables for each of the three; Subsytems and IPT have only an
ID and Name for each, while Installation's table includes Installation's ID
and Name, but also the corresponding System and IPT IDs. Each comes up as a
combo box on forms.

On a form with an underlying table of tblInputInstall, I have a command
button that automatically fills in the Subsystem and IPT in any instance
where the Installation is entered. Here is the code:

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE lkpInstallations INNER JOIN tblInputInstall ON
lkpInstallations.ID = tblInputInstall.Installation SET
tblInputInstall.Subsystem = [lkpInstallations].[SubsystemID],
tblInputInstall.IPT = [lkpInstallations].[IPT] WHERE
(((tblInputInstall.Installation) Is Not Null));"

That is fairly easy. However, I would also like to filter Installations on
the form where Subsystem or IPT is listed; in other words, if the IPT is
given, the user should be able to automatically filter the available
entries for the Installations combo box. He or she could then select among
the filtered Installation options, and then clicking the button that runs
the code above would fill in the Subsystem also.  This could be in response
to the changing of IPT, or it could be after a button is clicked. BTW, the
form containing this is a subform, sfrmInputInstall.

I hope I've put this clearly enough, but certainly understand that I may
not have. I would appreciate any help.

Thomas F. Ewald
FCS Database Manager
General Dynamics Land Systems
(586) 276-1256

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.