[AccessD] A2000: Move to next record - Not Bound

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 10 16:24:05 CDT 2006

Hi Darren:

I recently was at a meeting in which the guest speaker was a fellow named
Ted Neward, (http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/speaker_view.jsp?speakerId=9)
an independent consultant specializing in high-scale enterprise systems. He
had some wonderful insights into the communications between various
platforms and data centers. His philosophy is to use simple messaging over
all else, this precludes tightly bound applications. (If you do not need
confirmation immediately if the operation failed or succeeded, why does the
Server/Client have to be so tightly connected, is pouring massive resources
at a simple data transfer problem really good management, so isn't a queue
messaging system more than adequate in 99% of all data management
solutions?)

I am strongly leaning that way and at present am working on an Access FE
using SOAP/XML solution. I am still not totally comfortable with this
technology and if a list member would recommend a book or two as reference
material I would be very appreciate.

Moving from one record to another is fairly simple but it takes a little
more preparation.

1. Create a recordset list (disconnected) which contains just display
information (i.e. name and/or product) and the key.

2. Create a recordset which purpose is to hold the contents of a
specific/current record or set.

3. As the user moved from one record to the next the list recordset
refreshes the current key from the present record.

4. The key parameter is sent to server which in turn supplies all the fields
required repopulating the current record set and that information refills
the record display. At this time you can attempt to lock the current
record... by using a connected recordset and applying the appropriate locks
but depending on the data source there are a number of techniques to manage
that.

It may seem like a long way around but it is very fast and flexible. You can
hook in virtually any data source(s) simultaneously.

HTH
Jim