[AccessD] Log files

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 7 21:15:29 CST 2007

Jim,

There are two different ways to view this.  By using a framework I can get
more done faster, so for the original budget I can give the client more.
You are absolutely correct, no "junior level access programmer" is going to
come in and pick this up in a couple of weeks.  My experience has been
though that junior level programmers are brought in to do queries and
reports using an existing application.  No application of any complexity can
be picked up by ANYONE in a few weeks.

The framework is a tool.  It is similar in concept to Access itself.  It
allows me, a developer to do things which if I had to do all this stuff from
scratch would take years or decades (in the case of Access).  I don't make
any effort to "change" Access, I just use it.  I would not expect any junior
level programmer to "change" my framework either.  I would just expect them
to use it.  Mostly it just happens.

In fact, when I was in Mexico I hired a non-programmer, a girl who could
type and wanted to learn Access.  I had her "stamp out" forms for me, just
set up the forms, I built the queries, she dragged and dropped the controls
out and arranged them.  I had a large project I needed to get out, 200
tables.  I got 90% of the physical design work done using a smart girl who
could use a mouse and type, and could follow a 10 step written instruction
on how to do a form.

To do it from scratch, build a form, dimension a variable for a clsFrm and
pass a pointer to the form in to clsFrm.  Voila, things start to happen.
That simple.

Learn how to pass in the name of a list form to a combo box and voila, the
combo starts to respond to the double click event by opening the form.

Drop a combo and a text box onto a form, bind the text box to the PK of the
data displayed on the form, set the combo's rowsource to display a key piece
of data, and voila, the combo can be a record selector and cause the form to
move to that record.

These are just behaviors that I have added to my classes.  Like behaviors of
the objects in Access itself, they "just work".  All you have to know is
what is required to cause the behavior to happen.

I have a standing, stated agreement with all of my clients, which is, "if a
behavior is generic, it goes in my framework, if it is application specific,
it goes in the application".  I say that up front.  I own the framework.  My
client gets a limited use license to use the framework, in any application I
DEVELOP for them.  As I work for them, they pay me for all development,
whether it goes in the framework, or in the application.  I own the
framework.

The client gets all of the behaviors paid for by previous clients.  They
only have to pay for behaviors that have not been previously developed.
That is fair enough I think.

I walk in the door with (as you put it) a cookie cutter that allows me to do
more for them, faster, than they could get with any other developer.  I
certainly do not force any client to use the framework, but I do advise them
that it will cost many times as much to not use it.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting