[AccessD] VBA abandoned in Office 2008 for Mac

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon Jun 4 18:13:50 CDT 2007

Hello Ken,

<<<
Extremely interesting read. In theory, managed code should be as fast as
unmanaged

Yes, but it looks like managed code is as fast as unmanaged only in theory:
there were several attempts inside MS (WinFX/WinFS?, WPF?) to write parts of
MS Windows using managed code - they all failed...

Of course managed code is speedy enough for custom application development
for modern PCs...

<<<
An interesting project (that I don't have time for) is to use Richard's
analysis tools to gauge the penetration of .NET code into the Office
2007 code base. If the new development is primarily unmanaged COM code,
that would seem to bode well for native VBA. But if it is mostly in
.NET, then VBA's place in the new order is less certain.

AFAIMG the core MS Office 2007 software products: MS Word, MS Excel, MS
Access are still 99.99% COM. (0.01% I gave to MS Office 2007 Primary Interop
Assemblies). Some managed add-ins has been written for MS Outlook 2007.
That's it?

<<<
The response is new XML-based file formats, and 'sandboxing' VBA. How
much of the old COM code is vulnerable is anyone's guess.

I'd think that new XML-based file formats are to attempt to conquer/coexist
well with Web 2.0, to compete with Google... (and .NET Framework was/is an
"answer" on Java challenge - very impressive and useful for custom
application software development answer IMO).

--
Shamil