[AccessD] Using an SQL Express BE

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 22 09:06:13 CDT 2007

I linked my billing database to an SQL Server 2005 Express database file.  I
stored the dbf file right in the same directory as my billing database FE.
This is stored on an encrypted partition on my laptop, which has to be
mounted when first used or after rebooting.  Whenever the billing fe tried
to use the file, it just worked.

When my laptop died I moved the encrypted volumes to one of my Windows 2003
server, and attached the billing database file to SQL Server 2005 (the real
banana).  From there, after a boot SQL Server 2005 (the real banana) would
try to mount the database after the reboot but because the encrypted file
was not yet mounted, the database would have an icon in SQL Server but not
"be there", and any attempt to use it would fail, even after mounting the
encrypted volume.  I would have to delete the database, then manually attach
the file after mounting the encrypted file.  It was such a PITA that I
finally just pulled the database file out of the encrypted file and into a
volume on the server, and mounted it there.

I want to put the billing database file back in the encrypted volume, back
on my new laptop.  Will simply mounting it through the SQL Server express
instance on the laptop "fix" the database mounting issue?

Why did SQL Server Express correctly handle the dynamic mounting of the
file?  Is there any way to make the real banana handle this situation?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting