[AccessD] Entering ASP.NET "world" is easy but this is a huge world ... Was: RE: Access to VB.Net

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sat Sep 8 07:46:49 CDT 2007

<<<
will I be able to make my databases available on-line without
needing ASP etc.

Max,

I assume that your question is: "I wanted to use .NET Framework to make my
databases available online but I do not want to use ASP.NET?" - if that is
your question then the answer is that the quickest way to make your
databases available online via Web forms is *to use ASP.NET*, which in turn
uses .NET Framework. It's easy to enter ASP.NET "world" (see simple sample
below) but to make truly advanced scalable ASP.NET applications will need
quite some efforts to master the ASP.NET development skills and to develop
these ASP.NET applications....

Another way to make your databases available online is to use Web Services.
I will talk about that Web Services subject in another message if you find
this one helpful.

Below is a simple Asp.NET form, which uses Shippers table from testDb.mdb
database. This ASP.Net form is defined in two files:

1. sample3.aspx - web form itself
2. sample3.aspx.vb - web form's so called "code behind", which is almost
empty for this sample but which can have as advanced code as one wanted.

You can combine both files into one but from many points of view it's much
better to keep them separated. Here is how this sample form looks and works:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/Sample3.aspx - nothing special of course
- I just presented the structure of ASP.NET form as it usually looks:

=== sample3.aspx ===
<%@ Page Language="VB"
    AutoEventWireup="false"
    CodeFile="Sample3.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="Sample3" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
     "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
            DataKeyNames="ShipperID"
            DataSourceID="TestAccessDataSource">
            <Columns>
                <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />
            </Columns>
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:AccessDataSource
             ID="TestAccessDataSource"
             runat="server"
             DataFile="testDb.mdb"
             SelectCommand="SELECT [CompanyName], [ShipperID], [Phone] FROM
[Shippers]"
             UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Shippers] SET [CompanyName] = ?, [Phone]
= ? WHERE [ShipperID] = ?"

            <UpdateParameters>
                <asp:Parameter Name="CompanyName" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Phone" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="ShipperID" Type="Int32" />
            </UpdateParameters>
        </asp:AccessDataSource>
    </form>

===== sample3.aspx.vb ========