[AccessD] Making VB.NET/C# program needs only.NET Frameworkinstalled - Was: RE: Access to VB.Net

Gmail max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:07:27 CDT 2007

Hi Shamil,
Yes, all that works ok at this end.
Max
Still reading the other two emails <g>

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Shamil
Salakhetdinov
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 1:30 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Making VB.NET/C# program needs only.NET
Frameworkinstalled - Was: RE: Access to VB.Net

Max,

Making a VB.NET or C# program minimally needs only a .NET Framework
installed - here is what you can do if you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed
(I assume you MS Windows system directory is C:\Windows):

1. Use notepad.exe or any other text editor to prepare this VB.Net source
code:

Module Test
    Sub Main()
        Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!")
        Console.WriteLine("Press any key to continue...")
        Console.ReadKey()
    End Sub
End Module

2. Make a batch file - let's call it test_vb_net.bat, having this line (just
one line - watch line wraps, which may happen in this message):

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Vbc.exe HelloWorld.vb
HelloWorld.exe

3. Run the batch file and you'll get the following output (I assume you have
your source code and the batch file stored in e:\temp\SAMPLE):

E:\Temp\SAMPLE>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Vbc.exe
HelloWorld.vb
Microsoft (R) Visual Basic Compiler version 8.0.50727.42 for Microsoft (R)
.NET Framework version 2.0.50727.42 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

E:\Temp\SAMPLE>HelloWorld.exe
Hello, World!
Press any key to continue...

That's it - you have your VB.NET program compiled and run OK.

And with .NET Framework installed you have all its power at your hands - no
any limitations of functionality - Visual Studio and .NET Framework SDK just
give you more development productivity tools but a real professional needs
just a text editor and a compiler, right  ? :) (Just kidding of course - the
more productivity tools a professional have the better of course but
sometimes it's needed to work without them...)

--
Shamil