[AccessD] Feedback Time

Bob Gajewski rbgajewski at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 4 19:26:42 CDT 2008

Rocky

Putting your email address in the HTML code is a great way to invite tons of
spam - bots troll source code constantly looking for the unsuspecting.

Seriously, might I suggest a Javascript alternative?

Create the utiliies.js file (asterisks are to show the code, and are not
part of the file):
function sendMail(n2,d2,e2,s2,b2){
	if(s2 == '') s2 = ' ';
	var r2 = 'mailto:' + n2 + '@' + d2 + '.' + e2 + '?subject=' + s2 +
'&body=' + b2;
	document.location.href = r2;
	}

In the HEAD section of your code, put:
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts/utilities.js"></script>

Then, instead of your current code:

Use:
input your feedback here');">Email Rocky Smolin</a>

This will both prevent bots from finding your email address <and> allow you
to pre-fill fields!

n2 = the email name (everything left of the AT sign)

d2 = the domain (between the AT sign and the DOT)

e2 = the domain extension (COM, NET, etc)

s2 = the default subject line

b2 = the default message in the body

The subject and body can be left blank, but you should be sure to pass an
empty string.
(<a href="javascript:sendMail('rockysmolin','bchacc','com','','');">Email
Rocky Smolin</a> )

Each link can have different default subject lines, etc. That way, you even
know exactly what link they clicked on (unless, of course, they change the
subject line).

Best regards,
Bob Gajewski