[AccessD] Redesign the problem to fit the solution

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 29 13:56:29 CDT 2008

Charlotte,

I am (finally) looking at the demo.  While it is interesting
in its own right it does not write the data back to the
database but to a file.  The "persisted" data is a file correct?

I am actually interested in ADO disconnected technology to
store the data in the controls, allow updates back to that
disconnected recordset, and then when the edits are
finished, perhaps use the ADO recordset to write back to the
data table.

The form would still be unbound, and the disconnected ADO
record would provide a "storage" location with which to
compare "original" to modified (find modified values), as
well as compare "original" to "what is in the table now"
(other user edits stored before you got your write.  If you
think about multi user issues, it doesn't matter if a record
was modified by another user as long as the fields YOU
EDITED were not modified.  Thus the only time you have an
issue is in those cases.  This cuts down the number of
"record edited by another user" messages to only those cases
where you both edited the same FIELD in the same record.  In
some cases that would make an immense difference.

Your solution does indeed read and write data but it
completely skirts around real life, multi-user issues.

I understand the whole "field name in the tag" thing, though
I wouldn't use that.  I would go with a naming convention I
think, but the concepts are identical from there.  Find the
field to load and load it into the control.  Find the field
to unload and load it out of the form.

The concepts of persisting a table to a file is cool and
definitely the subject of another thread.  One thing I have
been looking for (in VB.Net) is now to persist to XML WITH
field information.  .Net has built in persistence but AFAICT
it only dumps the field name and value.  I would like to
dump field name, data type and value.  THAT would provide
the ability to send data to other applications with
sufficient information to do more than guess about the data.

But that is for another thread and probably another list as
well.