[AccessD] A2003: Disk or Network Error

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:52:35 CDT 2008

I've had some intermittent 'Disk or Network error 3043' starting about 6 weeks ago.  I've done some research and there are some links to problems relating to a missing temp file and some other theories.  I'm up to over 50 concurrent users and I'm thinking it could just be a timeout.  Everyone runs via VPN to one of four servers that connect to a server running 2003 Windows Server software, via a gigabit connection to a machine in the same room.  They run 160 servers in that room now.  Generally what happens is that there is a one minute refresh on a switchboard form and the error is triggered when the refresh doesn't find data.  Generally what happens is that 10 or more users are dumped and they are generally dumped as a group logged into one of the 4 VPN servers allocated to our division.
We are using drive mappings to the linked tables and it was suggested to me that there might be a problem with a loss of the mappings though I have not been asked to switch to UNC connect strings.  They had made a change 6 weeks ago to some software that sets the mappings and reverted to the prior system but since the revert, we had another momentary disconnect resulting in a block of users getting the error again.  IT has tried something different in terms of software settings again and it appears we've been stable for about a week now.  In the 6 weeks since the problem began, I am aware of fewer than 8 times that blocks of users were disconnected.  What happens is that they get a series of errors, one for each form, sub form, list or combo on the open forms and they have to clear the errors, anywhere from 10 to 50, before they can close the application and restart it.  Upon restart it is always business as usual.

Our company has decided it is time to update our system to a SQL Server BE as the application has been deemed mission critical.  I'm told they've hired a team of 3 developers and they have allocated 2 - 3 months for the switch commencing some time in October.  I guess the plan is that I will act as liason/consultant in my 'spare time', however, there is a good chance that I'll be locked out of and further BE development as the company has always been paranoid about security.  I'll have to wait and see what is coming.
CiaoJürgen WelzEdmonton, Albertajwelz at hotmail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:59:56 -0500> From: DWUTKA at marlow.com> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com> Subject: Re: [AccessD] A2003: Disk or Network Error> > As it's already been mentioned, you should look into an underlying cause> for the disconnection, though there may be legitimate reasons why it is> disconnecting. Depending how backups are run, some backup processes> will 'kill' access to a file, or even temporarily disconnect a> 'session'.> > If you are getting repeated 'Disk or Network Error' messages, it sounds> like the session is being disconnected. It's a common network issue> with Access, that if you open up a database, with linked tables,> everything will be fine until you try to connect to a table where it> doesn't 'exist' network wise. Even if the network returns, Access won't> 'reconnect'. It's one of my personal pet peeves with Access.> > However, there is a better way to work around this. You can do a simple> 'if Dir("\\server\share\pathtodb\db.mdb")<>"" then' line to determine if> that .mdb is visible. If you have linked tables, and kill your network> connection, nothing will happen UNTIL you try to use those linked> tables. So, if you have an app running overnight, if you 'test' your> connection before you run something using those linked tables, you can> just 'fail over' if it doesn't see the remote .mdb. > > Drew