[AccessD] Need some help.

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:53:14 CDT 2008

Steve,

That's a bit of a tall order, but I may have something along the lines
you're looking for.  I wrote a custom billing application for a
Builders Exchange that generates invoices.  The billing process starts
with choosing the billing month and then the user lets 'er rip.  All
the table backups and querying are done in a string of processes that
ends with a report containing the entire set of invoices to print and
mail.

All of the queries are "in-line"; that is, I don't use any saved
queries in the VBA code.    If I need to run a summary query to get a
value or two for further processing it'll look something like this:

530        strSQL1 = ""
540        strSQL1 = strSQL1 & "SELECT DISTINCT tblBillcode.[DuesCode
search string] "
550        strSQL1 = strSQL1 & "FROM tblBillcode "
560        strSQL1 = strSQL1 & "WHERE (((tblBillcode.Billmon)='" &
strBillMonth & "'));"

570        Debug.Print "Extract DuesCode search string from Billcode - 001"
580        Debug.Print strSQL1

590        Set rstDss = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL1)

600        strDss = rstDss![DuesCode search string]
610        rstDss.close
620        Set rstDss = Nothing

Then I'll use strDss in a query that creates a table:

650        strSQL2 = ""
660        strSQL2 = strSQL2 & "SELECT DISTINCT Membfile.[Acct#],
Membfile.[Member#], "
670        strSQL2 = strSQL2 & "Membfile.DuesCode, Membfile.[Company Name] "
680        strSQL2 = strSQL2 & "INTO tmpTblMemb "
690        strSQL2 = strSQL2 & "FROM Membfile "
700        strSQL2 = strSQL2 & "WHERE ((" & strDss & "));"

710        Debug.Print "Select Members whose DuesCode equals what we
just extracted in 001 - 002"
720        Debug.Print strSQL2

730        DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL2

This query creates an intermediate result table that's used further
down the line, etc.

Does this help?

If you're going to use saved queries, then you can create a QueryDef
object and refer to the name of your saved query and use the
DoCmd.RunSQL command to execute it, if I remember correctly.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI