[AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Apr 22 13:21:27 CDT 2009

John,

  Here's what you do:

1. Disconnect all cables from the 2nd router.

2. Power off, hold the rest switch and power on.  You should be back to
factory defaults at this point.  Make sure you know what the username and
password is to access the router before doing this.

3. Cable a laptop to the LAN port of the 2nd router that is set to
autoconfig for the network settings and boot.  Make sure the wireless card
is disabled if it has one.

4. Login to the router via web page.

5. Turn off DHCP.

6. Assign a static LAN IP address that is not in the first routers pool.
For example, if you first router has an address of:

 192.168.122.1  and a pool of 10 address from 192.168.122.10 -
192.168.122.19, assign the 2nd router an address of 192.168.122.2

  Doesn't matter what the address is, just that it is fixed and not in the
first routers DHCP pool of address that might get handed out.

  For this 2nd router, nothing on the WAN side matters as nothing will be
connected to that port.  Because everything is connected on the LAN side,
it's simply acting as a switch.

7. Shutdown the laptop and turn off the 2nd router.

8. Connect a cable from the 1st routers LAN port to the 2nd routers LAN
port.

9. Power on the 2nd router.  Make sure you have a link light on the cable
from the first router.

10. Wait a minute or so and turn on the laptop.  After boot, you should now
be able to access the Internet.

11. Now connect your media center to a LAN port on the 2nd router.  Check
Internet connectivity.

12. Access the 2nd routers config via a web page and set the wireless
communication parameters (ie. Chanel).

13. Set the wireless security (method and key).

14. Using the same laptop as you did before, re-enable the wireless card and
reboot.

15. After boot, use the laptops wireless config utility to see the 2nd
router.

Jim.