[AccessD] Moderator Message

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:31:18 CDT 2009

Gary,
> We have some constraints to keep in mind.
> 1) We are run by volunteers...
> 2) We don't have much available cash or income...
> I personally like the current method of distribution. I don't
> really care if our solutions show up on search engines or not.
> Just my opinion.

Your points are well taken.

But, as I see it, the unavoidable reality is that AccessD is in decline. The
good news is we have time to fix it. The bad news is, if we do nothing, the
decline will most likely continue.

Therein lies the rub: how can a volunteer organization with few resources
decide on a course of action and affect change?

I see three outcomes:
1. We make the changes to become relavent and vibrant
2. Database Advisors admits, at some point in time, that it cannot serve its
stated purpose, and shuts down
3. AccessD becomes essentially a bunch of geezers in rocking chairs on the
porch, reminiscing about the good old days

Option 3 is the path of least resistance. If it becomes a reality, then
AccessD will become impossible to moderate. It will serve a purely social
function for old friends, and have little or no technical value for anyone.

That's fine with me, but I wanted to forcefully point this out, so when we
have this same discussion a year from now, with even less quality,
participation and relevance in our mailing list, it will seem more like a
choice, and less like we just let it happen.

If someone else has alternate suggestions on how we can avoid option 3, I'd
like to hear them.

> G-mail's grouping messages by subject into threads works
> fabulously for list mail such as ours various lists.

I need to look into this, thanks for the tip.

-Ken