[AccessD] Zoho Access Migration Plugin

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:01:21 CDT 2009

Mark Simms:
> Bingo. In my first webdev project using Javascript and cookies,
> I had to code all sorts of case logic to handle not only the different
> browser behavior...
> but also the COMBINATION of browser and operating system.
> It was a huge hassle. Took forever to test.

Which is why I recommend using a Javasript framework. Rule of thumb: your
Javascript should either be so simple that it runs on all platforms without
platform detection, or you should use a framework that abstracts away all of
the platform differences. If you use AJAX, use a framework.

Also, with modern HTML and CSS, you can accomplish many tasks that required
Javascript in years past.

> Bottomline: each browser can render a web page differently.
> Problem: no common rendering "engine".

All modern browsers pass the Acid2 test:
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

And most make significant inroads on Acid3:
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid3/

The point is, things are significantly better now with modern browsers. Your
development experience back then does not have to be repeated today.

Stuart McLachlan:
> The LCD at present would have to be IE6.

The LCD is what you choose it to be. There is significant push-back on IE6:

Googles Orkut social network is phasing out support for IE6:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/IE6-Dead-Browser-Walking-67840.html
http://stuff.techwhack.com/7086-orkut-ie6

Digg is considering the same, sparking protests from MS:
http://technologizer.com/2009/08/11/should-microsoft-kill-ie6/
http://www.crn.com/software/219200327;jsessionid=2FOP5F3GR525XQE1GHOSKHWATMY32JVN

There is even a site dedicated to moving away from IE6:
http://www.ie6nomore.com/

As the web becomes a more hostile place, even corporate installations, the
last remaining bulwark of IE6 users, can't ignore the numerous security
enhancements in IE7 and IE8.

I think the trend will become: support IE8 with the 'full user experience',
support IE7 with 'minor' experience downgrades but no loss of functionality,
and support IE6 in a 'crippled' mode, with clear indications of what to do
to fix the problem.

Modern browsers render much more alike, and modern Javascript frameworks
resolve the most significant cross-platform issues. Modern web app
development need not be the painful ordeal it was in the bad old days.

-Ken