[AccessD] Class costs & benefits

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 25 15:14:32 CST 2009

The simplest illustration is to say that inheritance is the ability to define your own object as
starting from something already in existence.

Inheritance in the programming world mimics inheritance in the genetic world except that in most
languages you are only allowed to inherit properties from a single parent.

So.  I am my dad.  I get everything my dad has, his eyes, his height, his race, his ...

I add to what I inherited.

I add a bunch of extra pounds.  I add the experience of living in Mexico for five years.  I add the
knowledge of building computers.

In programming.  I inherit a text control.  I add code to check my control source to see what data
type it is.  I then add new method to make my display format depend on the data type I am bound to.

I have all of the normal properties of a text box.  I can generate all of the events that the text
box generated.  But I have additional code to check my data type and format myself differently
depending on the data type.  And other useful things.

That in a nutshell is inheritance.

Access does not have inheritance.  That doesn't Accesses classes useless however.  A class is far
more than the ability to inherit another object, even in languages where inheritance is possible.