[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Mon Oct 26 14:20:46 CDT 2009

Arthur,

It's really quite logical.  Every day in Access newsgroups and forums, you
can see someone ask "can I put my Access application on the web".

If Microsoft didn't step in to fill this need, someone else would.  And the
Access team, with the premier RAD database programme already in their hands,
had a big head start.

So they stepped up to the plate, as the saying goes, and this, as you no
doubt know, has been a major thrust of the work on Access 2010.

Now, when an Access 2010 application is published to the web, it gets
converted to stuff like HTML and Javascript and SharePoint workflows.  How
you going to do that with VBA?  Macros, based on XML, is going to work - VBA
is not.  Simple as that.

So it seems to me that the enhancements to macros in Access is primarily
related to the move towards web applications.  If you want to build
applications that can run in a browser, then you will have to change your
thinking, and change the way you do stuff, including learn how to use
macros.

But here's the *absolutely critical* point to remember...  This is
*additional*.  Nothing is being removed or replaced.  If you don't have a
use for this new stuff, then you don't have to use it.  Desktop database
solutions are not going away in a hurry.  VBA continues to be enhanced too,
and VBA is not going away any time soon.  You will still be able to build
good database applications using Access, just like you have always done.
The current emphasis for the Access team's development efforts is just
that... the current emphasis.  That does not mean it will stay that way.
And the significant improvements in the macro functionality should *not* be
taken to mean anything about any writing on any wall anywhere.

Regards
Steve