[AccessD] [dba-VB] [dba-SQLServer] HELP, server completely unresponsive

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 28 17:49:33 CDT 2009

Drew,

 > LOL, with this economy, funds are tight!

Are you saying my funds request was denied?  8(

I have 12 internal hard drives in there right now (plus one in an external container for backups).
2 are my raid one boot drive, 6 are a raid6 array for (2) two terabyte volumes - consisting of (6)
one terabyte drives.  Four are a raid5 array for log files and a local landing zone for backups.

This is an internal 16 SATA port Areca card, with 2 gigs of cache RAM on the card (in a DIMM I
provided).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151007&cm_re=areca-_-16-151-007-_-Product

I am running the AMD quad core Phenom X4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

All of the processor cache is internal to the chip and the level three cache is shared by all
processors.  That does not mean that it can't be thrashed by any one task, it certainly can.  All
processors share a memory controller, which is in fact a dual controller, 128 bit wide.

These are not lightweight systems I have built.  I don't have infinite funds, so I have purchased as
carefully as I am able to maximize value.