[AccessD] Combo Boxes On continuous Forms (was: quick help needed)

A.D. Tejpal adtp at airtelmail.in
Thu Jun 17 23:25:45 CDT 2010

Combo Boxes On continuous Forms
=========================

    An alternative solution aimed at preventing blank display on combo boxes in continuous forms, is demonstrated in my sample db named Form_ContWithCascadedCombo. It is available at Rogers Access Library (other developers library). Link:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=45

    This approach is based upon having all the bound values always in the look-up list, but ensuring that only the pertinent values are selectable and are displayed at top

    Supplementary Notes:
    On a continuous form, so long as the bound column of a bound combo box is the same as the column under display, there is no confusion or problem (e.g. display going blank). However, if displayed column is different from the bound column, and row source is dynamically filtered, the well known phenomenon of blanking out of display in all or some of the combo boxes other than the active one, is encountered.

    This is on account of the fact that what you see displayed is not the actual value held by the field (acting as control source for the combo box) but an interpretation based upon value held in the bound column. As a result, whenever the row source no longer contains certain values in the bound column, such of the records where combo boxes hold any of the missing values, can no longer be interpreted and the display goes blank. It is to be noted that the actual values held in such records are not really lost. These are still intact, but simply not getting interpreted and displayed.

Best wishes,
A.D. Tejpal