[AccessD] Problem Exporting to a CSV file with a Column Name that has a #

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Tue Apr 19 17:23:20 CDT 2011

All,

We are just starting to use an Access 2007 application to feed data to
another outside system via a CSV file.

This outside system is very rigid and we need to use exact field names
on the CSV file that we are creating.

The catch is that one of the fields is call "Employee #".

We set up an Export Specification (called Export-Query1 for our testing)
and we are using the following command to do the export

DoCmd.RunSavedImportExport "Export-Query1"

When we run the application, everything works nicely, except the field
named "Employee #" is somehow being renamed "Employee ." in the
generated CSV file.

We have run a number of tests and it looks like we have stumbled upon
either a "bug" a "feature", or something that we just don't understand.

Is there a way to force Access to not replace the "#" with a "."  ?

Thanks for your help,

Brad