[AccessD] From a reader

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Feb 9 13:16:27 CST 2011

Hi Gustav --

I see as an issue relatively slow start-up of classical ASP.NET applications
- for any large enough but not so big ASP.NET classical applications it
takes about 5 seconds to start from idle state.
It's not a big issue for Intranet applications, it's not a big issue for
Internet applications with a stable registered users base but for web
application with casual users or for web applications, which do not have a
lot of users (yet) - that is an important issue (IMO) which makes PHP, Ruby,
... solutions more attractive for customers - it's not easy to prove them
that ASP.NET based on .NET is so powerful platform that it allows to develop
a lot of new functionality in short time etc. - they answer we don't need
that (yet) - give us nice design and instant start-up. What can I say? And
for Windows Phone 7 (/smart phones) that slow start-up issue can be a
"killer" one - people will just not wait that long (3-5 seconds) for an
application to start - they have so many other applications to use with
instant start-up. Of course "keep-alive" trick can be used to partially
solve this issue but "keep-alive" poses additional workload on computer
systems, while a web application is in fact is in idle state  - that is not
a "Green Solution", bad influence on global ecosystem you know :)

And as Jim noted ASP.NET default web form's generated HTML is quite clunky -
compare that for usually clean HTML generated by PHP-based engines....

I'd expect Razor helps to solve both slow start-up issue (but not sure about
that) and "clunky HTML" issue, and combined with jQuery and RIA (RESTFul)
web services that should be "what doctor ordered"...

And Razor and jQuery AFAIHH they do have Intellisense when used from within
VS2010.

<humor>
Of course in current technology context I'd prefer to make a small but good
enough fortune to get retired ASAP, and I'd use computers and programming
just for pleasure in my spare time from hobbies, travelling etc. :) - that
whole "n-th turnaround of implementations of quite old programming and
database modeling/development concepts" on new hardware and on new (but
looking so old inside) operating systems looks boring sometimes - at least I
do not try to learn and master "all and every" new technology - I'm first
trying to get comfortable with the most promising for quick and good enough
fortune. (I can make a wrong selection of course.) Dreams, dreams... :)

I'm just back from a flat skiing walk with my small son (from that area
you've seen posted photos here of some time ago) - and that was his first
skiing experience - I found I'd like much more to spend rest of my life
helping him to learn and master skiing and other usual human beings hobbies
than programming: he is quite good with computers already, he can make
animation movies and many other things - I do hope he will not need to learn
& apply programming that much as I did - and that he will have some other
profession - he seems to have an engineering mind - that for sure -
Discovery Channel and similar local TV broadcasts are his favorite ones...

And I do love software development profession - you know that :) But it's so
heavy I must admit, and there are so many things I have been already doing
so many times on every software development evolution spiral I was "screwed
by" :)
</humor>

Thank you.

--