[AccessD] DB Design Question - too much normalization?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Mar 17 06:40:21 CDT 2011

For ease of maintenance, sInce the address is directly related to the entity, I'd put them in the
entity tables.  As long as you keep the address fields standard, you can always use a UNION
query to get all addresses  if you need to combine then, with a flag to identify the type of
entity

Select "C" Addres,City... from tblCompanies
union
Select "S" Addres,City... from tblSocieties
union
Select "P" Addres,City... from tblPeople

I also agree with Darryl, I'd  try to use some form of Postcode,City, State lookup table and
only store an FK  to that tree, rathe than full details of the geographical hierarchy

--
Stuart