[AccessD] The coming in-memory database tipping point. - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Benson, William (GE Global Research, consultant) Benson at ge.com
Mon Apr 16 23:47:32 CDT 2012

I disagree that "simplistic" is more appropriate than "flawed." I quite agree with the way Darryl originally put it. Where does simplistic begin or end? It is such a relative term! Flawed, however, is self-evident. It's not accurate, so it is flawed.

Newton wrote out some good estimations - the "Law" of Universal Gravitation being one such. However, it precludes the Big Bang insofar as, if all matter were to have come into this universe from a singularity, then the distance between all mass would be zero at such time, making gravitation infinite and therefore gravitational force infinite - precluding the universe's expansion. Not that I am any expert on this, it's just my opinion. I do feel I am quoting someone notable, though I don't recall who they were, when I say each new generation of scientists says "yesterday we thought, today we know".

I entertain in my imagination, the notion that a super-race of men has existed in the past. Of course I know it is fantasy, and yet ... what if there were such a people... DNA-wise, perfect. No wars, disease, famine... living a hundred years or longer; using 100% of their brains, having perfect visual and auditory memories (some people have these even today). And telepathic! Imagine the institutional memory which could have become established over a thousand or more years. Until some previously un-encountered pestilence came along, introducing a disease that diminished their mental prowess. Throw in a cataclysm or three, causing food shortages and leading to war - and the effort of one society to bury the achievements of another... along the lines of the sacking of the Library at Alexandria, only worse - heck, maybe man's "forgotten" more than he will ever again know about how the universe is put together.