[AccessD] The coming in-memory database tipping point. - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:20:33 CDT 2012

I don't think that your description of evolution is correct. It is a
process by which a species adapts, but those adaptations are by and large
random changes. Some of them survive and procreate, others do not.
"Survival of the fittest" has been co-opted by various political segments,
mostly on the right wing, from Ayn Rand onwards, and misconstrued to mean
fittest as in the sense of physical or even mental fitness, but that's not
what it means, strictly speaking. It means survival in the face of
sometimes cataclysmic changes such as an Ice Age, global warming, or the
disappearance of species such as the shark and tuna, now decimated by
over-fishing (90% of the world's tuna have been killed in the last 30
years, with who knows what consequences).

If Stephen Jay Gould's model of Punctuated Equilibrium proves accurate,
evolution is gradual but also punctuated by sudden and dramatic shifts, as
evinced by the astonishing finds at the Burgess Shale. At the time those
fossils were formed, there were 20 phyla on earth. Now there are only 5. A
period of wild experimentation led mostly to literally dead ends, and a few
survived, not because they wanted to or adapted in some intelligent
fashion, but because their adaptations proved to be useful in the changing
environment.

As for the evolution of scientific thought, I agree with you. Occasionally
the paradigm does shift dramatically, but most of the time it's a process
of gradual refinement and refutation.

A.