[AccessD] OT: Network speeds

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Mar 23 21:11:03 CDT 2012

Another one:

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

Network Throttling Index

By default, Windows Vista/7 implements a network throttling mechanism to restrict the
processing of non-multimedia network traffic to 10 packets per millisecond (a bit over 100
Mbits/second). The idea behind such throttling is that processing of network packets can be a
resource-intensive task, and it may need to be throttled to give prioritized CPU access to
multimedia programs. In some cases, such as Gigabit networks and some online games, for
example, it may be benefitial to turn off such throttling all together.

NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
NetworkThrottlingIndex=ffffffff  (DWORD, default: 10 hex, recommended: 10 hex for media
sharing, ffffffff for gaming and max throughput, valid range: 1 through 70 decimal or ffffffff to
completely disable throttling)

--
Stuart