[AccessD] Dental Software

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 20 11:27:08 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil:

It does sound like an excellent package and it appears they are doing
everything right. The company is encouraging other developers to contribute
to their code.

I was particularly interested in the comments of the following pages:

http://www.opendental.com/manual/clinuxmac.html

This does not totally rule out running on Mac and Linux. On Linux the
application could either be recompiled under Mono or, not mentioned but it
could also, in theory, run under Wine. Of course on a Mac it would require a
virtual Windows OS.

The idea of it being available on tablets is very interesting...a number of
restaurants are now using tablets; the waiter(st) takes the order at the
table, which is displayed to the cook, in the kitchen and the cook signals,
to the waiter when the order is ready for delivery...all very efficient. How
would that concept translate in a dental office?

I am getting a server up and running in the next few days. Replaced the
motherboard (4 core pure Intel board), only 3 GB RAM (currently transferring
a 32bit Server2003 OS which has the network's Active-Directory) and it has a
new 3TB HD, along with the original drives. The box is also my IIS server.
After that I can do some playing...

So we shall see...as the product is internet based maybe it is a good place
for a test bed?

Jim