[AccessD] Dental Software

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Jun 19 15:37:40 CDT 2013

 Hi Jim --

Thank you for your comments.
That Open Dental software they say is currently used by 4000 dental offices - so not all should be that bad in "standardization" of dental offices' everyday workflows/operations.
I'm thinking about business opportunity here - this software is evolving as an open source project

http://www.opendental.com/manual/versions.html

and if this software is really working so good as announced then its adaptation for a certain dental office workflow/operations shouldn't be that much work - I mean it should be affordable for dental offices.

Going with Mac or Linux front-end version - no need now I suppose - as this software is written using C# and MySQL and it will run well on modern MS Windows PCs/Windows RT Prof tablets without any additional Windows server software license costs - with backend MySQL db running on Linux server. And this software has also a web interface, which, they say, is working well on iPhone and Android smart-phones and I guess on iPad tablets also.

And they have ambitious goals ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Dental ):

<<<
The project wants "this software to become the world standard dental software. We want to make it easy to access and share data. We are tired of the restrictive policies of the current dental software companies. We want the user to always have total control, not the software company. And most of all, we want software that just works well”.
There are about 4,000 offices using OD, and an estimated 10,000,000 patient records.
Dr. Jordan Sparks has done most of the initial programming. They have a team of additional programmers employed these days. >>>

Are that goals looking too ambitious?

-- Shamil

--
Салахетдинов Шамиль