[AccessD] Questions about Attachments

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue May 28 06:59:42 CDT 2013

A potential client wants an app whose principal table contains addresses
and three pictures per address. Normally my first suggestion would be to
store the pictures as JPG files and pointers to the pictures either in a
multi-value field or in an associative table (AddressID, PictureName). But
the client seems to want the pictures stored as attachments in the
Addresses table. I have very little experience working with Attachments,
other than reading through Helen Feddema's example code.

1. Assuming that I walk the directory containing the pictures and have a
method of knowing which pictures belong to each Address, how can I
programmatically move the picture into the Address as an attachment?
2. Assuming that the pictures are now Attachments, can I extract them for
inclusion in a report? I.e. print each Address and its pictures.
3. I'm told that once the photos have been taken, there will never be a
need to edit them, but whenever I hear the word Never, I reach for my
revolver. Should that need ever arise, can one simply double-click the
Attachment of interest and automatically invoke the appropriate editor?
I.e. this question could apply equally to pictures and, say, Word documents.

TIA,
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr