[AccessD] Poll: Custom Ribbons and Custom Navigation Panes

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 19:36:46 CDT 2013

I have been dutifully recording the votes as they come in. The current
stats are:

Total Votes: 15
Ribbons: Yes = 5 No = 10
Navigation Pane: Yes = 1 No = 14

Perhaps I ought to have included custom Toolbars, but since they've been in
Access since forever, I chose to concentrate upon the features introduced
in Access 2007+.

I'm not quite ready to close this poll; I'll give it another week, maybe,
to await votes from recalcitrants; but thus far, and given the expertise of
those who have chosen to respond so far, the overwhelming evidence suggests
that these two new features have gone almost unanimously ignored among the
developers community.

I am no MS apologist let alone evangelist, but these stats do give one
pause. I can see reasons why these two options have been made available,
but the fact seems to me that the Access team dropped the ball in both
courts. Rather than shipping Yet Another Version of NorthWind, the team
failed to provide examples of customization of both objects, and to
illustrate how these might work in real-world apps. One or two add-in
developers have bitten the bullet and provided clumsy methods to customize
the ribbon and the NavBar, but the point remains: the Access team has
seriously failed to provide examples of how to render our Apps cool.

As previously stated, I'll hold the ultimate votes for about another week,
and then post the final results. I encourage listers who have not yet voted
to do so soon. I have no interest in skewing the stats this way or that,
and I am grateful for the respondents' votes thus far. I'm plugging each
pair of votes into a spreadsheet, and each time I receive a new pair of
votes I add a row to the XL range.

Thanks to all you voters so far. Before I close this poll, I shall wait a
week or so, and then post the final results. So far, these two new
"features" seem to have been wasted upon the developers' communtity. Two
possible explanations: a) too many of us have not seen the light; and b)
the Access team has missed the boat (or was ordered to miss the boat by
highers-up in the MS sphere).

Either way, I am pursuing this in two interests: a) how to help Access
developers find a new path, given that MS has abandoned us; b) by
identifying the weaknesses in the current Access "solutions", to provide a
growth path to a new development platform.

Currently I make no apologies for my allegiance to AlphaSoftware.com. It is
leagues above Access on every possible measure. I am currently writing
several docs about the transition from Access to Alpha Anywhere, which
shall soon be available on their site.

Let me state this at the outset: I receive no money from Alpha. It's
privately held so obviously I own no shares. I am un-compromised in any
way, with Alpha or any other company. I call them as I see them, and this
concerns movies, HBO series, and software development tools. Just to prove
the point, here are my totally disinterested votes (for readers who don't
understand the term "disinterested", it means that I own no shares) for the
greatest TV series ever made, followed by my votes for the Greatest
Software ever created (and in this category, you must understand this as
equivalent to the Baroque then Classic then Romantic eras).

The greatest TV series ever made, as viewed by Arthur...

1. The Sopranos, which led to everything else.
2. The Wire, in which I fell in love with Felicia Pearson, and also in a
different way, with Idris Elba.
3. Breaking Bad, which has so many great character portraits that it's hard
to know where to begin. The obvious choice is Mr. Cranston but it extends
much deeper than that.
4. Boardwalk Empire, starring Steve Buscemi and created by Terence Winter.

The history of PC software, as viewed by Arthur...

1. Apple SOS.
2. Dan Bricklin's VisiCalc, which changed the world.
3. Gary Killdall's CP/M, which also changed the world. Sadly, he chose not
to take a meeting with the IBM execs who flew to Albaquerque to meet with
him, because he was busy flying his personal plane at the time, and thereby
forewent a moment that could have changed history.
4. DOS, purchased from Seattle Products by Bill Gates for a mere $50K, and
marketed to IBM for inclusion in their first PC, and a tiny slice of the
action thereafter. Brilliant, Bill!
5. Apple steals the Mouse technology from PARC and releases the late
lamented first release.
6. Suddenly, everyone realizes that Mr. Joy was right (the mouse was Right
and Righteous, and things realign themselves. Jobs was right and the GUI
and mouse took over the world. Even upon its initial lousy entrance, the
die were cast, and the command line was over.
7. MS bastardizes Apple, who in turn bastardized Xerox, but I'll leave all
that to the history of lawyers.
8. MS bastardizes the Apple experience, but manages to win most of the
corporate and personal world, despite its shoddy implementations.
9. Open Source emerges, albeit very slowly, but MS senses a thread to its
jugular and presents a weak response -- which works in corporate America,
since they collectively represent a whore-house of recent Chinese
immigrants, some of whom have legal qualifications and some of whom arrived
in a shipping container. Most go to work in underpaid garment factories off
Spadina, and live in primitive dormatorys not much further away.

These people (I have done some research but do not pretend to exptertise)
choose to exploit the recent arriving Chinese -- I use that word as a
generic appellation for the numerous Chinese who arrive here: I know how to
speak a couple of dialects, but there are two hundred more to learn, and
frankly, most Taiwanese or Hong Kong or Shanghai people have the same
problem -- which creates for us a sharing experience. And this is my focus:
I do not want to declare war on anyone, either by force or by economic
means. Call me a hippie, if you wish, but I feel that this is the best
approach.

This entails solutions to which I have no ready response. I fear for the
life of the cable channels -- well actually that is not true -- I am glad
to see them die after years and years of forking us -- but what I meant was
that they have no chance in the future world.

I have a vision of the teleUnivsrse in which traditiona; cable has no
place, and neither do advertisers, except in special places which I shall
explain momentarily.

Consider me as the consumer of the future. I have several interests: BBC,
CBC, Al-Jareera, HBO and Tennis.com. No single TV provider can offer these
and only these to me. Therefore I go to NetFlix. Oops, I forgot my passions
for snooker and 8-ball and 9-ball. In sum, no TV provider in Canada or
elsewhere can deliver these and only these channels. Therefore, TV as we
knew it is dead. I have no glimmer what this means in terms of marketing
etc. I am concerned solely with what I want to view, and the collection of
market-delivered channels fails me big-time. Let me re-iterate in my most
specific terms (it doesn't matter whether you agree with my choices, but
rather that you decide your own choices: that is the point! No more
broadcasting, but rather narrow-casting).

IMO, the whole concept of Channels is obsolete. I want to move beyond this
and say instead, "Anything by Terence Winter or Chris Haddock, etc. is of
immediate interest".

To be sure, I don't want CBCTV to dry up and die. But I do want us
Canadians to realize the quality of TV we are delivering to the world. Let
me cite just a few:

da Vinci's Inquest
da Vinci's City Hall
Intelligence
Republic of Doyle
Heartland

I am at work on a project that I have vague hopes that will measure up to
these landmarks. It's a high bar to jump but I hope to at least equal these
measures. Frankly, I'm thinking that it will cost too much to make, but I
remain compelled to write it. The history of the Chinese in Canada remains
to be told. A couple of writers have tackled this and that aspect, but that
is IMO not even close to enough. So apparently it falls upon me to write
this ugly history. I accept that burden. I realize that I am far from the
best possible writer of this story, but since no one else is stepping
forward then I guess it's on me to tell these stories.

Many of them are sickening. The things that Canadians did to Chinese
workers, imported to blast the way through mountains, to carve a way from
Toronto to Vancouver... the more I read, the more I puke. This is stuff
that needs to be told. And maybe I'm not the greatest story-teller but
someone has to begin this story, and it would appear to be me, despite my
inadequate tools for the trade.

I have a few tools of the trade, but more importantly, I have nothing to
lose. This results in the ultimate freedom. I can call them as I see them,
and no one can pressure me this way or that to call it differently. This, I
have just realized, is Freedom! I am beyond self-interest, other-interest,
and so on. I think that I have achieved a new leverl hitherto unknown to me
-- a level beyond personal interests and investment in this or that
position -- a level that observes the politically/emotionally invested
positions as just another position on the 3D planes of opiinion, which
vaguely correspond to the 3D manifestations of these phenomenae.

Way beyond me. I think that it's time to go to sleep right now.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Rocky Smolin <rockysmolin at bchacc.com>wrote:

> Do I detect a pattern here?
>
> DO you suppose MS has looked at similar data and wondered why developers
> are
> not customizing their own ribbons or nav panes?
>
> Rocky

Arthur