[AccessD] New thrd: dates

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:29:17 CDT 2014

Thanks Gustav,

I used to work for a business who wanted me to assign a date stamp to a
variable and stamp all records with that date. That was on an Access
backend. I think in SS and Oracle, this is done (as Jim suggested) with
back-end processes ("triggers") that occur when a BATCH - not a record - is
*completed*. There might be an appreciable difference.

I hope that id batch processing stamps records with a date time after the
last transaction updates, that none of the new information was viewable
until the transaction completes. That puts the onus on the creator of the
transaction to make those transactions fast, because data is technically out
of date all the while a transaction is completing.

I cannot believe there would be any utility to a process which puts a
timestamp of A on a record that is still viewable at some time past A, still
in its non-updated condition, only to reflect the most up to date
information slightly later.

Essentially, doing things the way that senior developer told me to, that was
clearly a risk that I ran.

I'll bet huge sections of courses covering transactions, EDI, whatever, have
been written on this stuff?