[AccessD] Membership File Changes

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 7 01:14:46 CST 2014

Hi Benson:

That is why it is so important to have a central internet/phone accessible database, that handles the account and invoice numbers, especially if your are intending or have a invoicing system that extends across the country. Auto-number is just a local phenomenon and would cause key data collision if ever used as a PK.

Traditionally, all clients have a copy of all invoices created in the entire system but can only view or access (update) those records they create. Sometimes, a site may be given a batch of numbers so the breaks in numbering sequence are less obvious.

Keeping transaction numbers for accounting records can be even more complex...one invoice will only ever have a single invoice number but every change in the data must be reflected in the item list (added, updated or deleted) and subsequently in the accounts receivable record. This is very important so a corrupted record can easily be rebuilt or any invalid transaction can be easily traced.

Jim