[AccessD] One Accdr (front end) for each User's PC or Share the Accdr file on the File Server

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 15:09:34 CDT 2014

Please note the following is only my opinion.

If the front ends are never going to be allowed any update access at all by the
imbedded security, or the access method including constraints - as in pre-coded
SQL, then the main considerations for you at the server end will be the effect
of an update being performed while one, or more of those users has the database
open for access, and the effect on any scheduled (or ad-hoc) maintenance such as
a backup if a user leaves their system in a state where it is accessing the
database, and that access stops the DBMS being set in a can-do-maintenance
state.

The consequences of them accessing the data on the server will be:
Delays in getting data selection done, as the server will be doing all the work
that their local PC's were doing (adequate real memory on the server may
mitigate that).
And transmission delays as the selected data is transmitted across the Lan
(Wan/web?)

There is also the consideration that they will have assurance that the data they
are viewing is up-to-date, and the results of any searches they do will change
as the data does, and they will not have to schedule and actually achieve an
update to their local copy.

Now all of the above is a matter for your, and the organisation's management to
consider rather than being a technical limitation of the use of Access.

JimB