[AccessD] Automatic Update Function

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 09:25:20 CST 2015

My first consideration would be to check that the app has properly closed, and
has actually finished tidy-up work processing before the download starts.

Then, there is also the problem with ensuring the download has actually
completed, and all the files registered, and any views, or extracted data
entries cleared out before the app is restarted, and the restart locks the user
out until the base data environment is setup.

Then - why would you need to close the app - a more usual process is for the app
to be started from a batch process that would check a keyset (in a flat .txt
type file ) on the client machine matches the current one on the server/storage
location, and if different, then redo the download of the entire front-end.
Yes - that may take a while but the alternative is to have to be very sure that
all the bits of the new version are included in the download.

Then - there is checking that the client system is actually a full match for the
sourcing system - and the other systems.

I am currently having to ship just 1 client of a group a 2003 version of an app
that runs under 2007/2010 on all environments.
That 1 client system reports the shipped 2010 file needs repairing and then,
after 'repairing the 2010 download fails.
If I convert the app to a 2003 file, and ship that - the client can upgrade it
back to 2010 and all works!

And .. all the client systems are maintained by a central support site - so
should (Ha!) have the same setup!

JimB