[AccessD] Access and source control

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:55:01 CST 2016

Gustav,

I do the same, and I guess most or all of us do. And that's fine insofar as
only one developer is working on a project at any given time. It would be
nice to be able to have a team of developers working on a project, each
member checking out a few objects and all other developers seeing that
those have been checked out. You and I could thus work simultaneously on
different aspects of Project X, then check our objects back in, and if
anything screws up, then we could roll back just that object while
preserving the changes that were successful.

That's one of the many reasons that I'm so taken with Alpha Anywhere. It
stores objects in a granular fashion; any given project might consist of
hundreds of files of various types -- HTML, CSS, JavaScript, A5W
(proprietary), text files, Xbasic modules and function libraries, and
images. The core of the project is a database similar to the database
window in older versions of Access, containing pointers to the actual files
(stored in subdirectories of the project) rather than the files themselves.
This setup makes proper version control a breeze, and ideal for project
develoment by a team.

/Arthur