[AccessD] Access and source control

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:52:52 CST 2016

Shamil,

My experience pretty much reflects Gustav's. About the only time I get a
specific request for Access is from a client whose current solution is an
Access app that I wrote, and they want enhancements. There are lots of jobs
and gigs out there for .NET developers, but I've not gone beyond the basics
with that, so can't compete there.

I still use Access for little toy databases and test programs, but have
moved to Alpha Anywhere for serious work, primarily because of its
"anywhere" capabilities -- you can run the same app on a phone, a tablet
and a web browser. Another really cool thing about Alpha is its ability to
run "disconnected", i.e. install some small subset of the database on the
mobile device, run the app against it, then connect to the full database
and synchronize the changes.

Also, the web/mobile stuff has custom keyboards and number pads that make
it a lot easier to input data on a tablet.

Arthur

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Gustav Brock <gustav at cactus.dk> wrote:

> Hi Shamil
>

> 1.       We haven’t had any requests for Access applications for years.
> That said, we’ve never really had, because clients ask for solutions and
> really don’t care how they are solved. Some ask for ”web solutions” but
> that’s rather because of the easy access to such apps. In many cases, a
> Remote Desktop solution is much easier to establish – it is browser
> independent and works from Macs too.
>

> 2.       Our old accounting package made in Access is still running for
> many clients.
>

> 3.       Through the years, I have only met two or three, and all were a
> mess. I would warn against it at any time.
>
> /gustav

Arthur