[AccessD] Video Rental DB

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:19:24 CDT 2016

I'm creating a Video Rental database, and have a couple of roadblocks that
I am trying to get through.

A picture of  video / disc schema is available from my Google drive here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3zNbKE_HKVBMDJ6XzYtbWJ6UHM

I have three questions:
1. tblStatus currently has status choices of "In", "out", "Sold", "Damaged"
 I was thinking that I would put a StatusID FK field in tblDiscs to reflect
if the disc is currently in, out or otherwise. Then I started thinking that
I should have a junction table in between to keep a history.  Then I
started thinking that it really should be tied to tblInvoiceLine, which
shows when it was rented out. Any ideas on which way to proceed?

2. tblRentalSales was designed to track when an older, multiple copy has
been sold off. Really, I should put a flag in tblInvLine to indicate if
that particular line item was "sold" rather than rented (both can happen in
one transaction). Also, this could affect the previous question (Status of
disc is now sold)

3. Games (Xbox, Playstation....): I am unsure whether or not to make it a
flag in tblTitles, or set it in tblGenres or even tblFormat. tblFormat
(DVD, BlueRay, VHS...) could have a choice of Game, or even more granualar
such as XBOX.

I was thinking of using tblGenres (Horror, Comedy, Action...) for games as
I do for Movies, but I guess I could use them for game platform such as
 Playstation (what about Xbox 360, Xbox 1, PlayStation 3, 4...).

Any way, I would really appreciate any suggestions for any or all of the
three questions.

Thank you,
David