[dba-SQLServer]Removing a Default on a column

Stoker, Kenneth E Kenneth.Stoker at pnl.gov
Wed Feb 26 14:17:30 CST 2003

Everyone,

I am trying to remove a default on a column through T-SQL.  I tried to used sp_unbindefault and get an error 'cannot unbind from <column name>.  use alter table drop constraint.'  So, I take this to heart and try an 'alter table drop constraint'.  I then get an error back saying there is not constraint with that name.  I can see the default in the sysobjects table and I see its id in the cdefault column for the field within the syscolumns table.  Is there some other way I should be doing this?

Thank you.

Ken Stoker
Technology Commercialization
Information Systems Administrator