[dba-SQLServer]Re: Linking to Local Table

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Oct 30 18:25:06 CST 2003

I half-replied to this a moment ago, but now that I see your detail I
think it warrants a second reply. Your setup confuses users with roles,
and muddies the audit-trail waters. Instead, I suggest the following:

1. Create a login for each individual user.
2. Create a role for each level of user (i.e. marketing).
3. Assign rights to each role additively (i.e. marketing types,
managers, ops). This assumes that managers have more rights than
marketing types, and that ops have more than managers. This may not
apply to your case, but is the general principle. Assign rights to role,
and individual users to roles.

IMO this is by far the best way to go: you retain the ability to track
the behaviour of individual users, while also gaining the simplicity of
giving many rights to a user simply by assigning her to a given role.