[dba-SQLServer] XML setting files

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Fri Feb 4 14:57:47 CST 2005

An XML file is a text file and you can read it with any text editor.  It
has nothing whatsoever to do with any XML "software" unless you've
written software to look for that file name.  If the application
software is in .Net, it may be using typed datasets based on a file
named Settings.xml and/or it may contain a class to manipulate that xml
file.

We import and export xml files with different names and we store
settings in xml files with specific names.  We also use xml files to
store lookup values that are not part of the back end data.  None of
them is named Settings.xml but we do have to program for specific xml
file names.

Charlotte Foust