[dba-SQLServer] XML setting files

worddiva nancy.lytle at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:09:54 CST 2005

This is an example of the type of files I am referring to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Settings>
<MaxNumInQueue>0</MaxNumInQueue>
<MinWarningInterval>240</MinWarningInterval>

<MailPort>25</MailPort>
<MailServer>fcmail.xxxxxx.com</MailServer>
<MailTimeout>30</MailTimeout>
<MailSender>OpsAlert at xxxxxxxxxc.com</MailSender>
<MailSubject>Activation errors for Carrier</MailSubject>
<MailMessage>There are %d orders with Activation errors .
</MailMessage>
<ConnectionString>Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Initial Catalog=xxxxxxxxx;Data
Source=xxxxxxxx;User Id=xxxxxxxx;pwd=xxxxxxx;application
name=xxxxxxxxxxx</ConnectionString>
<SQL>
Execute dbo.XXsp_MonitorErrors
</SQL>
<Recipients>
<To>xxxxxxxx at xxxxxx.com;xxxxxx at xxxxxx.com;</To>
</Recipients>
</Settings>

It would just seem good practice to me to name the files based on
something descriptive so that when have have 100's of settings files,
we don't make mistakes as to what file goes to what process.
By boss still says: > "The settings file is use as input into the XML
process, it works kind
> like the .ini file.  However the XML software looks for a file name
> settings.xml. If you are not clear, please let me know."

I don't want to make a pest of myself but I also don't want at some
time in the future have to correct any problems that come up.

Any help appreciated.  I just need to convince him this is possible
and a good idea.

Thanks,
Nancy