[dba-SQLServer] Upload documents with MSAccess FE

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Thu Dec 21 15:30:46 CST 2006

I am not sure of the mechanics, but I feel obligated to question the approach. To what advantage is it to store the images as binary objects in a column? If you have a large number of images, you may have a point (given the built-in restrictions on number of files in a directory), but that aside, why bother? Why not store the path to the images instead? Then all you are dealing with is a varchar(100) or so string and you don't encumber the database at all. You can hand off the path string to whatever front end is of interest and the front end can accept the path and load the image.

IMO, the same thing applies to Word documents or any other sort of binary storage. I just don't see the value of storing a file as a binary object in a row-column.

Arthur