[dba-SQLServer] Shrinking Log File

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Sun Jan 15 15:01:18 CST 2006

I have restored an SQL2K bak file from a different server to my stand
alone development computer.

In the Shrink File box for the database in Enterprise Manager the log
file is showing 13779MB in size with 113MB space used.

Under shrink action I have tried Shrink File To 150MB but an error
8985 appears saying it can't find file SQLbe_Log in sysfiles.  The
strange thing is that the name refers to the original file that this
data base was created from over 3 years ago.  The database that I am
trying to shrink is called SQLLtdbe_Log.  This name doesn't appear in
the database file list.

If I just delete the log file, will a new one be created?  As this is
just for testing purposes I don't need to be able to recover any
previous transactions.

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd