[dba-Tech] Renaming Server

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 8 23:19:35 CDT 2004

...the client is relatively easy ...reset the local admin password on the
client to ensure you know it ...change the client from a domain member to
workgroup ...login on the client as local admin ...change the client name
...reboot ...use the Network ID Wizard to rejoin the client to the domain
...check that the client appears in the AD and update/assign rights and
policies as necessary :)

...otoh, changing a server name can be an exercise in MS hell and I
personally would not attempt it ...I'd rather upgrade the server to Win 2003
where the DNS, AD, and registry are much, much better integrated ...if you
HAVE to do it, make absolutely sure its not a domain controller when you do
the change ...not that it will save your butt but it will improve your odds
...good luck! :)

Political advertising is the price of our chains ...my name is William
Hindman and I approve this message :)