[dba-Tech] KVMs (was Calculator)

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 16:03:51 CDT 2004

Well here is the deal... it IS the KVM switch... I suppose some do not
carry the signal correctly over or something... ?

My Link X cel KVM switch at home is nice between my Knoppix PC and my
Windows 2k pc.  No problems.. all mouse options are recognized (scroll
wheel etc) Mouse is an optical Trackball.  When connecting to RedHat 7
(iirc) I would loose the scroll wheel whenever I would switch away.  I
switched to mandrake, and it was fine, Knoppix, fine...  Window 2k and
Win2k and it's fine, WinXP, WinME and even a Win98 box and all KVM
switch correctly w/ my switch.. Redhat didn't like getting KVM
switched out, however Fedora 1 was fine w/ it as is Knoppix and
Mandrake (haven't tried suse yet).

now at work....
2 Windows 2k Pro boxes would loose the scroll wheel function when the
Belkin KVM switch would switch between the 2 pc's... i got a test
win2k server / sql server / reporting services box  for development
and upgraded to a linksys 4port kvm switch... nothing else changed and
now the I don't loose the scroll wheel. :D

that's why I was asking about your brand, cuz I guess it varies by the
brand... I want to upgrade to a 4 port kvm switch at home and what you
mention sounds cool (the iogear ultra)

--
-Francisco